School of Jesus Disciples REV 2:7

2010.06.05 08:12

섬김이 Views:5397

School of Jesus Disciples     REV 2:7

743 S. Grandview St. L.A. CA. 90057            Tel. (213)928-2932  Pastor P.K.

Every Sunday 3:30 pm            JD-class      Email: peterkim123@sbcglobal.net

Seeking to make disciples who make disciples.

“그러나 너는 모든 일에 근신하여 고난을 받으며 전도인의 일을 하며 네 직무를 다하라”    But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.                                       II Tim 4:5

Devotional to JDs,

Good Shepherd and the Bad Hireling

선한 목자와 악한 삯군 목자–Part I

(7)그러므로 예수께서 다시 이르시되 내가 진실로 진실로 너희에게 말하노니 나는 양의 문이라  (8)나보다 먼저 온 자는 다 절도요 강도니 양들이 듣지 아니하였느니라   (9)내가 문이니 누구든지 나로 말미암아 들어가면 구원을 얻고 또는 들어가며 나오며 꼴을 얻으리라

(7)Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. (8)All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.  (9)I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

(10)도적이 오는 것은 도적질하고 죽이고 멸망시키려는 것 뿐이요 내가 온 것은 양으로 생명을 얻게 하고 더 풍성히 얻게 하려는 것이라 (11)나는 선한 목자라 선한 목자는 양들을 위하여 목숨을 버리거니와   (12)삯군은 목자도 아니요 양도 제 양이 아니라 이리가 오는 것을 보면 양을 버리고 달아나나니 이리가 양을 늑탈하고 또 헤치느니라

(10)The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.  (11)I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep (12)But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep

(13)달아나는 것은 저가 삯군인 까닭에 양을 돌아보지 아니함이나 (14)나는 선한 목자라 내가 내 양을 알고 양도 나를 아는 것이 (15)아버지께서 나를 아시고 내가 아버지를 아는 것 같으니 나는 양을 위하여 목숨을 버리노라

(13) The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

(14)I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. (15)As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

(16)또 이 우리에 들지 아니한 다른 양들이 내게 있어 내가 인도하여야 할 터이니 저희도 내 음성을 듣고 한 무리가 되어 한 목자에게 있으리라  (17)아버지께서 나를 사랑하시는 것은 내가 다시 목숨을 얻기 위하여 목숨을 버림이라

(16)And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd

(17)Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.                                      John 10:7-17

In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit……… There is no comparison between a shepherd and a hireling in appearance.  Jesus won’t allow Himself to be mentioned in the same sentence as a hireling.  The two positions are polar opposites.  A shepherd tends and defends sheep.  A hireling tends sheep but will not defend the sheep.

There lies the difference between a shepherd and a hireling.  Part of tending a flock is defending them from an enemy.  If a shepherd won’t defend sheep from an enemy, they do not deserve to be called a shepherd.  They leave the flock behind to fend for themselves.

Jesus says just after today’s Holy Gospel: My sheep hear My voice.  Now more than ever it is difficult for the sheep to hear the voice of the Good Shepherd.  There are so many hirelings who claim to speak on behalf of the Good Shepherd that the sheep don’t know whom they should listen.  There are also many other bleating noises that try to drown out the voice of the Good Shepherd.  How can you tell the difference between a hireling, a shepherd of the Good Shepherd’s flock, and all the other noises out there?

The sheep should listen to what those who tend flocks say.  See if you can guess whether or not this pastor is a shepherd or a hireling.  The pastor in question recently moved his flock to a former sports arena in a major metropolitan city.  If you visit the congregation’s website, you will see passing references to Jesus Christ, but you will also see lots and lots of pictures of the pastor and his wife, while seeing no pictures of Jesus.

You will see a “ministry” for nearly every situation in life: men, women, young children, teens, college-age, singles, single parents, married couples, even “ministries” to help you find out which “ministry” is right for you.

The pastor is a noted author who writes books about how you can better yourself.  Yes, the pastor quotes the Bible.  But does the pastor present Jesus Christ as the Savior from sin and death or as a life coach who empowers you toward better wealth and health?  Nowhere on the website do you see anything about Christ’s death and resurrection or the forgiveness of sins.  It’s all about making you a better you.

Compare that message with what you hear from this pulpit, what you hear when I visit your sickbed, or when I conduct a funeral.  You should compare what I preach with what you hear elsewhere to see whether or not your pastor proclaims the Truth of God’s Word.

The same should be said for every Christian pastor. If you do not hear the Good News of Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection, and how He delivers forgiveness of sins, life, and salvation through His death and resurrection on your behalf, then you are listening to a hireling bleat the siren call of self-religion.  If you do not hear a pastor preaching God’s Law in all its severity and God’s Gospel in all its sweetness, then you have not heard a Christian sermon.  You have heard a hireling tell you what you want to hear.

Other voices try to silence shepherds.  The voice of sports, hobbies, sleeping in, dining out, doing nothing, hanging out with family and friends, and the sweet, dulcet tones of rank unbelief also cry out for attention every weekend.  Some sheep know they should listen to the voice of the Good Shepherd.  But they can’t bring themselves to walk into His sheep pen.

Others think the Good Shepherd is a liar.  Still others believe the sheep pen is full of liars and hypocrites rather than real, true Christians.  Many more would rather go it alone, receiving sustenance and guarding themselves alone and away from the sheep.

We are envious of those who have hirelings for shepherds as well as those who are lost sheep and love to hide from the Good Shepherd.  They have it easy, or so we think.  They have no responsibility.  We are always under God’s thumb.  Wouldn’t it be nice to get lost one day and never return to the fold?  Wouldn’t it be nice to have a shepherd who let’s you believe what you want to believe and live however you want to live?  All pleasure, no responsibility, zero guilt, and happy days!  Ah, there’s the life!

What kind of life is death?  That’s what life without a shepherd has in store for you who wish the Good Shepherd to get lost.  What will happen when the wolf flashes his teeth your way?  Who will you call upon to save you?

King David knew.  So did Ezekiel and Peter.  So do you.  The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.  Those Words teach you to confess that you need protection from the satanic foe.  You have protection from a Shepherd Who became a sheep on your behalf.  That’s how far the Good Shepherd goes to rescue you.  The Good Shepherd takes on the form of a sheep in order to be attacked by the ravening wolf.

He is wounded and murdered so you may live.  He comes back from death to life so you may live with Him forever.  It sounds like crazy talk.  The Good Shepherd becoming like a sheep and laying down His life for the sheep.  But that’s exactly what Jesus does.  It’s exactly what a hireling won’t do.

[벧전 5:1-벧전 5:10]

(1)너희 중 장로들에게 권하노니 나는 함께 장로 된 자요 그리스도의 고난의 증인이요 나타날 영광에 참예할 자로라  

(1)The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:

(2)너희 중에 있는 하나님의 양 무리를 치되 부득이함으로 하지 말고 오직 하나님의 뜻을 좇아 자원함으로 하며 더러운 이를 위하여 하지 말고 오직 즐거운 뜻으로 하며    (3)맡기운 자들에게 주장하는 자세를 하지 말고 오직 양 무리의 본이 되라

(2)Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; (3)Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.

(4)그리하면 목자장이 나타나실 때에 시들지 아니하는 영광의 면류관을 얻으리라 (5)젊은 자들아 이와 같이 장로들에게 순복하고 다 서로 겸손으로 허리를 동이라 하나님이 교만한 자를 대적하시되 겸손한 자들에게는 은혜를 주시느니라

(4)And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away. (5)Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble

(6)그러므로 하나님의 능하신 손 아래서 겸손하라 때가 되면 너희를 높이시리라 (7)너희 염려를 다 주께 맡겨 버리라 이는 저가 너희를 권고하심이니라

(6)Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: (7)Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

(8)근신하라 깨어라 너희 대적 마귀가 우는 사자 같이 두루 다니며 삼킬 자를 찾나니    (9)너희는 믿음을 굳게 하여 저를 대적하라 이는 세상에 있는 너희 형제들도 동일한 고난을 당하는 줄을 앎이니라

(8)Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour (9)Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

(10)모든 은혜의 하나님 곧 그리스도 안에서 너희를 부르사 자기의 영원한 영광에 들어가게 하신 이가 잠간 고난을 받은 너희를 친히 온전케 하시며 굳게 하시며 강하게 하시며 터를 견고케 하시리라

(10)But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle [you].                                      I Peter 1:1-10

Saint Peter writes, you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.  We love to hear the analogy of Jesus as a Shepherd.  The imagery hits close to home. All of us get lost now and again.  The Shepherd cares so much about you when you get lost that He risks life and limb to find you.  I myself will search for My sheep and seek them out…. I will bring them out from the peoples and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land; I will feed them…in good pasture…I will make them lie down…I will seek what was lost and bring back what was driven away…but I will destroy the fat and the strong, and feed them in judgment.

Not only will the Lord God provide for you, He will also protect you by destroying those who are fat and strong.  You can’t do this alone, even if you think you are strong enough not to need a Savior.  The Lord runs the verbs.  He alone will do these things, just as He alone has provided a Way out of sin and death for you.

Psalm 33 says, the earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord…He is our help and our shield.  The Lord calls you out of darkness into His marvelous light through water and His Word in Holy Baptism.  He covers you with His blood and righteousness.  He places you in His fold forever.  He spreads a table before you in the presence of your enemies, giving you His True Body and Blood in His Holy Supper.  He puts His promise of deliverance from the enemy in your ears every Lord’s Day.  He provides, protects, and gives you a prosperous eternity not on your terms, but on His terms.

How great Christ’s love is for us.  He becomes the prey so we may escape.  When we get lost, He will find us.  It’s all in a day’s work for the Good Shepherd, Who never slumbers nor sleeps but keeps watch over His Father’s flock now and forever.

In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit
                                                       -from Rev. David Juhl

[벧전 2:9-벧전 2:10]

(9)오직 너희는 택하신 족속이요 왕 같은 제사장들이요 거룩한 나라요 그의 소유된 백성이니 이는 너희를 어두운데서 불러 내어 그의 기이한 빛에 들어가게 하신 자의 아름다운 덕을 선전하게 하려 하심이라

(9)But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

(9) Mas vosotros sois linaje escogido, real sacerdocio, gente santa, pueblo adquirido, para que anunci/is las virtudes de aquel que os ha llamado de las tinieblas ~ su luz admirable.

@Umei'" de; gevno" ejklektovn basivleion iJeravteuma e[qno" a{gion lao;" eij"

peripoivhsin o{pw" ta;" ajreta;" ejxaggeivlhte tou' ejk skovtou" uJma'"

kalevsanto" eij" to; qaumasto;n aujtou' fw'":

Jesus Says, "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.”                John 10:11

Fruitful Life under good shepherd
[마 7:13-마 7:20]

(13)좁은 문으로 들어가라 멸망으로 인도하는 문은 크고 그 길이 넓어 그리로 들어가는 자가 많고 (14)생명으로 인도하는 문은 좁고 길이 협착하여 찾는 이가 적음이니라

(13)Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: (14)Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it

(15)거짓 선지자들을 삼가라 양의 옷을 입고 너희에게 나아오나 속에는 노략질하는 이리라  (16)그의 열매로 그들을 알지니 가시나무에서 포도를, 또는 엉겅퀴에서 무화과를 따겠느냐

(15)Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. (16)Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

(17)이와 같이 좋은 나무마다 아름다운 열매를 맺고 못된 나무가 나쁜 열매를 맺나니  (18)좋은 나무가 나쁜 열매를 맺을 수 없고 못된 나무가 아름다운 열매를 맺을 수 없느니라

(17)Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit 18)A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit

(19)아름다운 열매를 맺지 아니하는 나무마다 찍혀 불에 던지우느니라  (20)이러므로 그의 열매로 그들을 알리라

(19)Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. (20)Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them

Mt m7:13-20

In Mattew Ch7, Jesus used metaphors such as trees and fruits, and Jesus emphasized the results of good and bad trees, which are good fruits and bad fruits. Today as we read the passage which Jesus taught in Mattew and some other verses, I hope all of us reflect on our conducts and our church’s conducts through this year in front of God.

According to the passage, it is clear. Jesus clearly said that good tree bears good fruit and bad tree bears bad fruit. This is a natural law of cause and effect. So let me ask you, are you a good tree? Or a bad tree? Let me ask again. How about our church? In the church we altogether grow and bear. Then, Is our church a good tree? Or a bad tree? How do we know that?

Actually question should be changed like this “is God satisfied with what we did and what our church did?” What is our fruit? Sometimes we easily think and judge the results with our own eyes and with our own criteria. Let me share one more verse to explain what good fruits are in the Bible.

Galatians Ch 5 –for the good Fruit
22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23. gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Here’s God’s criteria. The fruit of the Spirit. We can count many things and consider those as good things, but let me think our results, fruits humbly and honestly again. Now, you may think what you did through this year. Close your eyes and think of your whole year. But in this time, ask to yourself, was there LOVE? Was there JOY? Was there PEACE? Was there KINDNESS? Was there GOODNESS, was there FAITHFULNESS? Was there GENTLENESS? Was there SELF-CONTROL?

Sometimes we can help others without LOVE. Sometimes we can worship without any JOY. Sometimes we can do something without PATIENCE. There are many events in the church without PEACE. Sometimes it is.

Fruits, especially good fruits, it’s the one all of us want to bear. Because we Christians are created for bearing good fruits in Him and church whose head is Jesus and which we are His body, church also exists for bearing good fruits. It’s not only conducts with good outer figures but also conducts with characters and attributes which are contained in our hearts such as kindness and self-control in Galatians.

So far, I focused on the bearing good fruits, but there is one more thing we have to remember. Bible DOESN’T tell us that bearing good fruit is optional and choosable. It’s NOT an optional thing, and it’s NOT a thing which we can choose. Because through the Bible, we know the results of the bad trees which cannot bear good fruits. It’s miserable and horrible. Verse 19,20 says that

19.Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20.Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. The result is cutting down and thrown in the fire. Then what do you want t choose? So it’s our inevitable destine to bear good fruits as Christian. It’s our mission and purpose God gave to us.

False-Bad Hirelings

[겔 34:2-겔 34:4]

(2)인자야 너는 이스라엘 목자들을 쳐서 예언하라 그들 곧 목자들에게 예언하여 이르기를 주 여호와의 말씀에 자기만 먹이는 이스라엘 목자들은 화 있을진저 목자들이 양의 무리를 먹이는 것이 마땅치 아니하냐

(2)Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel, prophesy, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD unto the shepherds; Woe be to the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves! should not the shepherds feed the flocks?

(3)너희가 살진 양을 잡아 그 기름을 먹으며 그 털을 입되 양의 무리는 먹이지 아니하는도다   (4)너희가 그 연약한 자를 강하게 아니하며 병든 자를 고치지 아니하며 상한 자를 싸매어 주지 아니하며 쫓긴 자를 돌아오게 아니하며 잃어버린 자를 찾지 아니하고 다만 강포로 그것들을 다스렸도다

(3)Ye eat the fat, and ye clothe you with the wool, ye kill them that are fed: but ye feed not the flock. (4)The diseased have ye not strengthened, neither have ye healed that which was sick, neither have ye bound up that which was broken, neither have ye brought again that which was driven away, neither have ye sought that which was lost; but with force and with cruelty have ye ruled them.    

Ezk 34:2-5

The way to bear good fruits.

[요 15:4-요 15:8]

(4)내 안에 거하라 나도 너희 안에 거하리라 가지가 포도나무에 붙어 있지 아니하면 절로 과실을 맺을 수 없음 같이 너희도 내 안에 있지 아니하면 그러하리라

(4)Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

(5)나는 포도나무요 너희는 가지니 저가 내 안에, 내가 저 안에 있으면 이 사람은 과실을 많이 맺나니 나를 떠나서는 너희가 아무 것도 할 수 없음이라  (6)사람이 내 안에 거하지 아니하면 가지처럼 밖에 버리워 말라지나니 사람들이 이것을 모아다가 불에 던져 사르느니라

(5)I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. (6)If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.  

(7)너희가 내 안에 거하고 내 말이 너희 안에 거하면 무엇이든지 원하는 대로 구하라 그리하면 이루리라  (8)너희가 과실을 많이 맺으면 내 아버지께서 영광을 받으실 것이요 너희가 내 제자가 되리라  

( (7)If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you 8)Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

John 15:4-8

Yes, apart from Jesus you can do nothing. Although world is excited and busy, I hope we Christians look back on our life. If there were good fruits, praise God and thank to God. If there were bad fruits, confess and repent those to God and resolve not to do those again.

And also I want all of us grow as a good tree for coming year. Someday we can also count the fruits in front of God. So, we cannot stop to grow as a good tree which will bear good fruits. Which fruits do you want to bear? Now you know. Remaining in Jesus, that’s the only way. Unchangeable truth forever. May Holy spirit dwells in us and strongly work in you and me. Let’s pray.

Heavenly father, we thank you for what you have done for us through this year. Thank you for the good fruits we bear and our church bears. So, we praise and worship you. In this time, if there are bad fruits in our lives, let us repent and resolve not to do it again. Please be with us so let us remain in you. In this time, we confess we love you so much and want to follow you sincerely. Just let us remain in you all the time so let us bear more good fruits which make you please. In Jesus name, we prayed. –                    -  from Pastor Joshua Kim

(5)나는 포도나무요 너희는 가지니 저가 내 안에, 내가 저 안에 있으면 이 사람은 과실을 많이 맺나니 나를 떠나서는 너희가 아무 것도 할 수 없음이라  (6)사람이 내 안에 거하지 아니하면 가지처럼 밖에 버리워 말라지나니 사람들이 이것을 모아다가 불에 던져 사르느니라

(5)I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. (6)If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.      John 15:5-6

Good Shepherd - 선한 목자

(13)달아나는 것은 저가 삯군인 까닭에 양을 돌아보지 아니함이나 (14)나는 선한 목자라 내가 내 양을 알고 양도 나를 아는 것이 (15)아버지께서 나를 아시고 내가 아버지를 아는 것 같으니 나는 양을 위하여 목숨을 버리노라

(13) The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

(14)I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. (15)As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.                                      John 10:`13-14

There are three readings on this theme from John 10. The Psalter for each year is Psalm 23. The image of the Good Shepherd is a common one, gracing the stained glass windows of many places of worship. Our image of the Good Shepherd is usually not influenced by modern practices of shepherds since we are just not exposed to them.

The good shepherd was especially concerned for the condition of the flock, careful that the animals not be overdriven ... and would sometimes carry helpless lambs in his arms ... or on his shoulders.... The work of the shepherd was essentially to keep the flock intact, counting each animal as it passed under his hand.... (Vancil, 1187).

I want to come back to this notion of Vancil’s of the shepherd’s work to “keep the flock intact” since I believe it to be a major part in understanding the Gospel reading. The role of the shepherd is further elucidated by Golding. The primary roles of a shepherd with his sheep were guiding, providing food and water, protecting and delivering, gathering scattered or lost sheep, and giving health and security.

The needs of sheep are primarily physical. Not being abundantly endowed with intelligence and lacking the capacity to find food and water for themselves in marginal environments, they require a benevolent and capable human leader who will guide them to places where these essentials can be found. Since sheep tend to wander, a concerned shepherd must search for them and bring them back when they become lost or when for some reason the flock has become scattered. A sheep’s lack of natural defenses leaves it susceptible to the attacks of predators. (Golding, 22).

In the Bible, the metaphor of shepherds and shepherding is applied to God, political and religious leaders (especially in the Hebrew scriptures) and to Christ. Shepherds may be described as good or bad. Scott (Scott, 412) points points out that the term Shepherd is rarely applied to God, but the language of shepherding is often used of God, such as “I will restore Israel to his pasture, and he shall feed on Carmel” (Jeremiah 50:19, ESV). In Ezekiel 34, God states he will seek out and gather his people who have been abused by bad shepherds who fed themselves instead of the sheep.

[렘 50:17-렘 50:20]

(17)이스라엘은 흩어진 양이라 사자들이 그를 따르도다 처음에는 앗수르 왕이 먹었고 다음에는 바벨론 왕 느부갓네살이 그 뼈를 꺾도다    (18)그러므로 나 만군의 여호와 이스라엘의 하나님이 이같이 말하노라 보라 내가 앗수르 왕을 벌한 것같이 바벨론 왕과 그 땅을 벌하고

(17)Israel is a scattered sheep; the lions have driven him away: first the king of Assyria hath devoured him; and last this Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon hath broken his bones. (18)Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will punish the king of Babylon and his land, as I have punished the king of Assyria.

(19)이스라엘을 다시 그 목장으로 돌아오게 하리니 그가 갈멜과 바산에서 먹을 것이며 그 마음이 에브라임과 길르앗산에서 만족하리라  (20)나 여호와가 말하노라 그 날 그 때에는 이스라엘의 죄악을 찾을지라도 없겠고 유다의 죄를 찾을지라도 발견치 못하리니 이는 내가 나의 남긴 자를 사할 것임이니라

(19)And I will bring Israel again to his habitation, and he shall feed on Carmel and Bashan, and his soul shall be satisfied upon mount Ephraim and Gilead. (20)In those days, and in that time, saith the LORD, the iniquity of Israel shall be sought for, and there shall be none; and the sins of Judah, and they shall not be found: for I will pardon them whom I reserve.

Jeremiah 50:17-20

I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I myself will make them lie down, declares the Lord GOD. I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, and the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them in justice. (Ezekiel 34:15-16, English Standard Version, ESV)

We have often traditionally applied the shepherd metaphor to clergy. Hence the title, pastor, meaning “shepherd; one who has the care of flocks and herds” (Webster’s Unabridged of 1913). But clergy should be seen not so much as shepherds as fellow sheep. Peter carefully advises the elders to......shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. (1 Peter 5:2-4, ESV)

Note that Peter places himself with the other elders. He is not a Chief Shepherd (Reicke, 128-129).. To clergy, Peter is saying to remember that the flock is placed in your care, but it is not your own. Peter Gomes puts it this way: I want to suggest that the connection in this text on Good Shepherd, particularly for the clergy, is not that we are the shepherds, good, bad, or indifferent, but that we are among the sheep.

That puts a slightly different perspective on this text for us, because when we preach to our people as fellow sheep instead of as shepherd and sheep, they may actually be inclined to hear the text somewhat differently than we are accustomed to giving it to them and they are accustomed to receiving it. If we think of ourselves as among the sheep, as opposed to belonging to the Shepherds’ Union, we may actually gain a new insight into the relationship that we have with one another. It is not the only one, but it may be a useful and a mildly novel one. (Gomes, 295). – shepherd-sheep insight!

It is Jesus who is the Good Shepherd. He is the incarnate God who will “ seek the lost, ...bring back the strayed, ...bind up the injured, ...[and] strengthen the weak” (Ezekiel 34:16). By claiming the title, Jesus is making a political statement as well as a theological and religious one.

Jesus, in describing himself as “the good shepherd” (John 10:11-16), echoes the images of Ezekiel 34 ... This divine shepherding turns out to be exercised through a restored Davidic kingship ... Is it any wonder that Jesus excited messianic speculation by claiming to be the good shepherd? (Hays, 395)

[요 10:27-요 10:28]

(27)내 양은 내 음성을 들으며 나는 저희를 알며 저희는 나를 따르느니라  

(27)My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

(27)Mis ovejas oyen mi voz, y yo las conozco, y me siguen;

ta; provbata ta; ejma; th'" fwnh'" mou ajkouvei, kajgw; ginwvskw aujtav kai; ajkolouqou'sivn moi

(28)내가 저희에게 영생을 주노니 영원히 멸망치 아니할 터이요 또 저희를 내 손에서 빼앗을 자가 없느니라

(28)And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.            John 10:27-28

(28) Y yo les doy vida eterna y no perecer~n para siempre, ni nadie las arrebatar~ de mi mano.

kajgw; zwh;n aijwvnion divdwmi aujtoi'" kai; ouj mh; ajpovlwntai eij" to;n aijw'na kai; oujc aJrpavsei ti" aujta; ejk th'" ceirov" mou

Remember that Jesus makes this statement during the Feast of Dedication (John 10:22, better known to us as Hanukkah) a celebration that recalls the liberation of Israel from the Syrians in the Maccabean revolt. It is a feast day of religious and political significance. His statement (“I am the Good Shepherd.”) would not only be threatening to the religious and political leaders of his own day, but should also serve as a warning to the flock today to be wary of “hired hands” as well as “thieves and robbers” who only look out for their own needs and come to “kill and destroy” (see John 10:8,10,12).

Combine this with people clamoring to know if Jesus is the Messiah (10:24), that is the Anointed one who would come and liberate the people of God (Sloyan, 133). “[T]he messianic implications of Jesus’ claim to be the Shepherd were apparent to the Jewish authorities” (Brown, 406).

Jesus is the Good Shepherd who has laid down his own life for the sheep. He gathers us. He protects us. We belong to him and recognize his voice as he calls us by name (John 10:3-4).

The belonging is God’s ownership of us. We are God’s sheep, irrevocably bound to the divine and held there by a power too great for any force which might threaten to grapple us out of the divine grasp. We belong to God! That means that our identity is determined—we are Christ’s sheep. We are known—our lives are no longer private and secret, for belonging in this case means being known. We now have the (“eternal life”) that survives all that threatens us, including death. (Kysar, 69 – emphasis Kysar’s)

Finally, I want to revisit the idea of unity. Just as Jesus, the Good Shepherd gathers the scattered sheep they cannot be taken away from him (John 10:28-29). He speaks of having “other sheep that are not of this fold” that he must gather into “one flock” with “one shepherd” (John 10:16). The role of the Shepherd in protecting the unity of the flock is best expressed in the priestly prayer offered up by Jesus in the garden...

I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. (John 17:20-23, ESV).

The unity of the church becomes an important sign to the rest of the world that Jesus is indeed who he says he is – a shepherd of one flock.

[요 17:13-요 17:13]

(13)지금 내가 아버지께로 가오니 내가 세상에서 이 말을 하옵는 것은 저희로 내 기쁨을 저희 안에 충만히 가지게 하려 함이니이다  

(13)And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

(17)저희를 진리로 거룩하게 하옵소서 아버지의 말씀은 진리니이다

(17)Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

(22)내게 주신 영광을 내가 저희에게 주었사오니 이는 우리가 하나가 된 것같이   (23)곧 내가 저희 안에, 아버지께서 내 안에 계셔 저희로 온전함을 이루어 하나가 되게 하려 함은 아버지께서 나를 보내신 것과 또 나를 사랑하심 같이 저희도 사랑하신 것을 세상으로 알게 하려 함이로소이다

(22)"And the glory which Thou hast given Me I have given to them; that they may be one, just as We are one; (23)I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

(26)내가 아버지의 이름을 저희에게 알게 하였고 또 알게 하리니 이는 나를 사랑하신 사랑이 저희 안에 있고 나도 저희 안에 있게 하려 함이니이다

(26)And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.  (26)and I have made Thy name known to them, and will make it known; that the love wherewith Thou didst love Me may be in them, and I in them. "       John 17:13-26

References
Brown, Raymond E., The Anchor Bible: The Gospel According to John (i-xii), Doubleday, 1966.
Golding, Thomas A., “The Imagery of Shepherding in the Bible, Part 1,” Bibliotheca Sacra 163 (January-March 2006), 18-28.
Gomes, Peter, “Good Shepherd, Good Sheep,” Currents in Theology and Mission 30:4, August 2003, p. 294-6. Also may be found here.
Hays, Richard B., “Shepherded by the Lamb,” The Christian Century 109:13, (April 15, 1992), 395.
Kysar, Robert, “John 10:22-30,” Interpretation 43:1, 66-70.
Reicke, Bo, The Anchor Bible: The Epistles of James, Peter, and Jude, Doubleday, 1964.

Scott, Bernard Brandon, Hear Then the Parable: A Commentary on the Parables of Jesus, Fortress Press, 1989.
Sloyan, Gerald, Interpretation: John, John Knox Press, 1988
Vancil, Jack W., “Sheep, Shepherd,” The Anchor Bible Dictionary, Vol. 5, Doubleday, 1992, 1187-90.

(11)나는 선한 목자라 선한 목자는 양들을 위하여 목숨을 버리거니와  

(11)I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

John 10:11

(11)Yo soy el buen pastor: el buen pastor su vida da por las ovejas.

!Egwv eijmi oJ poimh;n oJ kalov": oJ poimh;n oJ kalo;" th;n yuch;n aujtou' tivqhsin uJpe;r tw'n probavtwn:

JD-Class/Pastor P.K.   Good Shepherd vs. Bad Hireling – I