School of Jesus Disciples REV 2:7

2010.10.22 09:02

섬김이 Views:4570

School of Jesus Disciples     REV 2:7

743 S. Grandview St. L.A. CA. 90057            Tel. (213)928-2932  Pastor P.K.

Every Sunday 3:30 pm            JD-class      Email: peterkim123@sbcglobal.net

Seeking to make disciples who make disciples.

“그러나 너는 모든 일에 근신하여 고난을 받으며 전도인의 일을 하며 네 직무를 다하라”    But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.                                       II Tim 4:5

Devotional to JDs,

The Book of Life & Lamb’s book of Life

생명책과 어린양의 생명책 (Part- I)

There are eight references in New Testament to the “book of life,” and two of them refer specifically to the book of life that belongs to the Lamb, Jesus Christ. Seven of the references appear in the book of Revelation. Those whose names are written in the book of life are those who belong to God, those who have attained eternal life.

Paul refers to those who have labored alongside him as those whose names are in the book of life (Philippians 4:3), again identifying the book of life as a record of the names of those who have eternal salvation. In the same way, Revelation 3:5 refers to the book of life in which the names of believers in the Lord are found. These are those who overcome the trials of earthly life, proving that their salvation is genuine.

This verse also makes it clear that once a name is written in the book of life, Jesus promises that He will never blot it out, proving once more the doctrine of eternal security. The Lord Jesus, who is speaking to the churches in this part of Revelation, promises to acknowledge his own before His Father. Conversely, Revelation 20:15 reveals the fate of those whose names are not written in the book of life—eternity in the lake of fire.

In Revelation 13:8 and 21:27, we find the references to the "Lamb's book of life," in which also are the names of all those who have been washed by the blood of the Lamb, Jesus Christ. The Lamb who has been “slain from the creation of the world” has a book in which are written all those who have been redeemed by His sacrifice.They are the ones who will enter the Holy City, the New Jerusalem (Revelation 21:10) and who will live forever in heaven with God.

"Is it possible for a person's name to be erased from the Book of Life?"     <생명책에서 이름이 지워질수 있는가 ?>
Revelation 22:19 says, “And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.” This verse is usually involved in the debate concerning eternal security. Does Revelation 22:19 mean that after a person’s name is written in the Lamb’s Book of Life, it can at some time in the future be erased? In other words, can a Christian lose his salvation?

First, Scripture is clear that a true believer is kept secure by the power of God, sealed for the day of redemption (Ephesians 4:30), and of all those whom the Father has given to the Son, He will lose none of them (John 6:39). The Lord Jesus Christ proclaimed, "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand" (John 10:28-29b). Salvation is God’s work, not ours (Titus 3:5), and it is His power that keeps us.

If the “anyone” referred to in Revelation 22:19 are not believers, who are they? In other words, who might want to either add to or take away from the words of the Bible? Most likely, this tampering with God’s Word would be done not by true believers but by those who only profess to be Christians and who suppose that their names are in the Book of Life.

Generally speaking, the two main groups who have traditionally tampered with the Revelation are pseudo-Christian cults and those who hold to very liberal theological beliefs. Many cults and theological liberals claim the name of Christ as their own, but they are not "born again"—the definitive biblical term for a Christian.

The Bible cites several examples of those who thought they were believers, but whose profession was proven to be false. In John 15, Jesus refers to them as branches that did not remain in Him, the true Vine, and therefore did not produce any fruit. We know they are false because “by their fruits you shall know them” (Matthew 7:16, 20); true disciples will exhibit the fruit of the Holy Spirit who resides within them (Galatians 5:22).

In 2 Peter 2:22, false professors are dogs returning to their own vomit and a sow who “after washing herself returns to wallow in the mire” (ESV). The barren branch, the dog, and the pig are all symbols of those who profess to have salvation, but who have nothing more than their own righteousness to rely upon, not the righteousness of Christ which truly saves.

It is doubtful that those who have repented of their sin and been born again would willingly tamper with God's Word in this way—adding to it or taking from it. Of course, we recognize that good people have sincerely held differences in the area of textual criticism! But it can be demonstrated how cultists and liberals have repeatedly done both "adding to" and "taking away from."

Thus, we can understand God's warning in Revelation 22:19 in this manner: Anyone who tampers with this crucial message will find that God did not place his name in the Book of Life, will be denied access to the Holy City, and will forfeit any expectation of all the good things He promises to His saints in this book.

From a purely logical standpoint, why would the sovereign and omniscient God—He who knows the end from the beginning (Isaiah 46:10)—write a name in the Book of Life when He knows He will only have to erase it when that person eventually apostatizes and denies the faith?

Additionally, if you read this warning within the context of the paragraph in which it appears—Revelation 22:6-19—you can clearly see God remains consistent in His theology: only those who have taken heed of His warnings, repented and been born again will have any good to look forward to in eternity. All others, sadly, have a terrible and terrifying future awaiting them.

Revelation 3:5 is another verse that impacts this issue. “He who overcomes . . . I will never blot out his name from the book of life.” The “overcomer” mentioned in this letter to Sardis is the Christian. Compare this with 1 John 5:4: “Everyone who is born of God overcomes the world.” And verse 5: “Who is he that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” (See also 1 John 2:13.) All believers are “overcomers” in that they have been granted victory over the sin and unbelief of the world.

Some people see in Revelation 3:5 the picture of God’s pen poised, ready to strike out the name of any Christian who sins. They read into it something like this: “If you mess up and don’t win the victory, then you’re going to lose your salvation! In fact, I will erase your name from the Book of Life!” But this is NOT what the verse says. Jesus is giving a promise here, not a warning.

Never does Scripture say that God erases a believer’s name from the Book of Life—there is never even a warning that He is contemplating it! The wonderful promise of Revelation 3:5 is that Jesus will NOT erase one’s name. Speaking to the “overcomers”—all those redeemed by the blood of the Lamb—Jesus gives His word that He will not delete their names. He affirms that once a name is there, it is there forever. This is based on the faithfulness of God.

The promise of Revelation 3:5 is directed to believers, who are secure in their salvation. In contrast, the warning of Revelation 22:19 is directed to unbelievers, who, rather than change their hearts toward God, attempt to change God’s Word to suit themselves.

Revelation 20:15 declares, “If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.”

[계 20:11-계 20:15]

(11)또 내가 크고 흰 보좌와 그 위에 앉으신 자를 보니 땅과 하늘이 그 앞에서 피하여 간데 없더라  (12)또 내가 보니 죽은 자들이 무론대소하고 그 보좌 앞에 섰는데 책들이 펴 있고 또 다른 책이 펴졌으니 곧 생명책이라 죽은 자들이 자기 행위를 따라 책들에 기록된 대로 심판을 받으니   (13)바다가 그 가운데서 죽은 자들을 내어주고 또 사망과 음부도 그 가운데서 죽은 자들을 내어주매 각 사람이 자기의 행위대로 심판을 받고

(11)And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. (12)And

I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.  (13)And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

(14)사망과 음부도 불못에 던지우니 이것은 둘째 사망 곧 불못이라 (15)누구든지 생명책에 기록되지 못한 자는 불못에 던지우더라

(14)And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.  

(15)And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.                 Rev20:11-15

The Book of Life is the set of names of those who will live with God forever in heaven. It is the roll of those who are saved. This Book of Life is also mentioned in Revelation 3:5; 20:12; and Philippians 4:3. The same book is also called the Lamb’s Book of Life because it contains the names of those who have been redeemed by the blood of the Lord Jesus (Revelation 13:8; 21:27).

How can you be sure your name is written in the Book of Life? Be sure you’re saved. Repent of sin and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior (Philippians 4:3; Revelation 3:5). Once your name is written in the Book of Life, it is never erased (Revelation 3:5; Romans 8:37-39). No true believer should doubt his eternal security in Christ (John 10:28-30).

The Great White Throne Judgment described in Revelation 20:11-15 is a judgment for unbelievers. That passage makes it clear that no one at that judgment has his name in the Book of Life (Revelation 20:12-14). Since their names are not in the Book of Life, their fate is sealed, their punishment is sure.

Some people point to Revelation 3:5 as “proof” that a person can lose his salvation. However, the promise of Revelation 3:5 is clearly that the Lord will not erase a name: “He who overcomes . . . I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life.” An overcomer is one who is victorious over the temptations, trials, and evils of this world—in other words, one who is redeemed. The saved are written in God’s registry and have the promise of eternal security.

Another passage over which confusion sometimes arises is Psalm 69:28: “Let them [David’s enemies] be blotted out of the book of the living.” This “book of the living” should not be confused with the Lamb’s Book of Life. David is referring to earthly, physical life, not eternal life in heaven. The same is true of the “book” mentioned in Exodus 32:32-33.

[출 32:32-출 32:33]

(32)그러나 합의하시면 이제 그들의 죄를 사하시옵소서 그렇지 않사오면 원컨대 주의 기록하신 책에서 내 이름을 지워 버려주옵소서  (33)여호와께서 모세에게 이르시되 누구든지 내게 범죄하면 그는 내가 내 책에서 지워버리리라

(32)Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written. (33)And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book. Ex 32:32-33

The Lamb's Book of Life - Rev 21:27

from Brother Ed Miller, "God's Dawn For Every Darkness", p. 25-6.

"What is meant by 'the Lamb's Book of Life' (Revelation 21:27]? God has kept records on every individual who has ever lived, and by those records - based on the light of revelation they have received - they will all be justly judged. It was in the context of the record books that we read, 'Another book was opened, which was the book of life'. In Revelation, that book is called 'the Lamb's Book of Life'.

"Since the other books are record books, is it not possible that this, too, is a record book? The Lamb's book of life is the record of the Lamb's life! Oh, what a sterling record that must be! It contains the perfect record of the impeccable Savior for thirty-three and one half years He lived on the Earth and did always those things that pleased the Father. He never once sinned, in thought, word, deed, or the profound intentions of the heart. Satan found nothing in Him that could incline Him to sin. The Lamb's Book of Life is the perfect record of the Lord Jesus As He lived on the Earth.

"What must it mean to have my name written in that book? It must be that His perfect record is imputed to me. Under my name are listed HIS perfections. What a glorious thought to contemplate! Jesus became sin for me, and I have become the righteousness of God in Him. We traded record books! He took mine to the cross and grave; I will take His to heaven!

"How can there be any condemnation for those whose names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life? When God looks for our names, He will find them in the book that belongs to Jesus. The Lamb's perfect record will be credited to us. How much more is the Lamb's Book of Life than a registry of names? It is the imputed record of the Holy Son of God to every forgiven sinner."

What a blessed thought! When God the Father sees my name, He will read Jesus' Perfections below it! As we sing in that blessed song: "My sin - oh the bliss of this glorious thought; my sin, not in part, but the whole, Is nailed to His cross and I bear it no more, praise the Lord, praise the Lord, oh my soul".

"It is well, with my soul. It is well, it is well with my soul."

What Does The Bible Say About The Book of Life?

The Lamb's Book of Life is the book in which appears the name of every person who has been born again, spiritually speaking, who has been saved through the blood of the Lamb, the Lord Jesus Christ. To say that our names are in these books is to say that we are in the mind of God. When do our names appear in the book? The answer is found in Psalm 139:16:

"Thine eyes did see mine unformed substance;
And in thy book they were all written,
Even the days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was none of them."

Also in Revelation 13:8 we find that, in the foreknowledge and omniscience of God, our names appeared in the book "from the foundation of the world."

The Book of Life is mentioned in Psalm 69:28, along with the Lamb's Book. Through the law of double reference, the plea of David blends into that of the Lord Jesus Christ in verses 19 to 28. Speaking of the leaders, the authorities, such as Caiaphas, who perpetrated His arrest and crucifixion, He pleads:

27 "Add iniquity unto their iniquity;
And let them not come into thy righteousness,
28 Let them be blotted out of the book of life,
And not be written with the righteous."

[시 69:28-시 69:28]

(28)저희를 생명책에서 도말하사 의인과 함께 기록되게 마소서  

(28)Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written

with the righteous.                      Psalm 69:28

This passage reveals that names can be blotted out of the Book of Life. We know that none can be blotted out of the Lamb's Book, because no one who has been saved is ever lost. In this passage, then, the plea is made that these wicked ones have their names removed from the Book of Life that they never have salvation-never have their names enrolled with the righteous in the Lamb's Book.

This prayer is not contradictory to the prayer on the cross, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." As this prayer clearly indicates, it is for those who in ignorance were led to join in the cry, "Crucify him; crucify him." It is not for those in authority who knowingly and willfully perpetrated the most heinous crime in all history.

The Book of Life is mentioned in Revelation, chapter 3:
"4 But thou hast a few names in Sardis that did not defile their garments: and they shall walk with me in white; for they are worthy. 5 He that overcometh shall thus be arrayed in white garments; and I will in no wise blot his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels."

This passage shows that the righteous will have their names retained in the Book of Life. From the statement that the Lord Jesus will confess the names of these persons before God Father, we know that their names are also in the Lamb's Book of Life.

In Revelation 13:8 we learn that during the Tribulation all those whose names are not written in the Lamb's Book of Life will worship the Antichrist: "And all that dwell on the earth shall worship him, every one whose name hath not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb that hath been slain."

Lastly we learn of the Book of Life in Revelation 20:11-15, the judgment of the Great White Throne, before which only the wicked will appear:
"11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat upon it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne; and books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of the things which were written in the books according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead that were in it; and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death, even the lake of fire. 15 And if any was not found written in the book of life, he was cast into the lake of fire."

To summarize, every one has his name written in the "Book of life". The wicked will have their names blotted out of this book. The righteous, the born-again believers, have their names written in the Book of Life and in the Lamb's Book, and thy will never have their names blotted out of either one.

The BOOK OF LIFE

The Bible mentions various books, Num. 14, the Book of the Wars of the Lord, Ps 69:28 and Isa. 4:3 Book of the Living; Mal 3:16, Book of Remembrance, Rev. 20-12, Lamb's Book of Life. There are also many books in keeping the record of an individuals life.

Exod. 32:33: "And the LORD said to Moses, "Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book." If one dies without forgiveness of their sins their name vanishes out of the record book of life.

Ps. 139:16: "Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them." God knows who are his, even before they are born, everyone who lives is written in the book of life.

The book of life is a old and new testament doctrine. Phil 4:3 Paul recognized those who labored with him in the gospel, 'with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life. "

Rev.3:5: "He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels." We overcome by our faith which is exhibited by faithfulness.

The Bible teaches there are three different kinds of death

1) dead in trespasses and sins- we are spiritually dead and severed from a relationship of the true God while we are living because of our sinful condition. "And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses." (Col 2:13-14;Eph.2:1)  1 Tim 5:7 "But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives." (speaking of being separated from God).

2) physical death- that is the consequence of sins. Rom.3:23 "the wages of sin is death.” (Rom.5) James 2:26 "For as the body without the spirit is dead..."

God's solution is the resurrection to eternal life 1 Thess. 4:16-17: " For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.  Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.

Rev. 2:11: "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death."

Rev. 20:6: "Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years."

3)  the 2nd death-  eternal separation from God in both body and spirit.

The second death is the final consequence of refusing the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is in reference to having no change, being eternally permanent after they are resurrected. Unbelievers are resurrected brought before the throne and judged, to be sentenced in both body and spirit. All unbelievers from the beginning of  time began are resurrected put back in their bodies and then put in the lake of fire in which they will now suffer in both the soul and body forever continuing in even a worse state.

The Book of life- is a record of everyone born  

If a person dies as a believer his name is retained in the book of life, if he dies unsaved he is blotted out. Ps. 69:28: "Let them be blotted out of the book of the living and not be written with the righteous."

The righteous are those who obeyed by having faith in the gospel.

Rev.13:8: "And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world."

Those who were not born again will not worship Jesus Christ but the false Messiah during the tribulation period when he is revealed.

Rev.17:8:..."and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world."

[계 17:7-계 17:8]

(7)천사가 가로되 왜 기이히 여기느냐 내가 여자와 그의 탄바 일곱 머리와 열 뿔 가진 짐승의 비밀을 네게 이르리라  (8)네가 본 짐승은 전에 있었다가 시방 없으나 장차 무저갱으로부터 올라와 멸망으로 들어갈 자니 땅에 거하는 자들로서 창세 이후로 생명책에 녹명되지 못한 자들이 이전에 있었다가 시방 없으나 장차 나올 짐승을 보고 기이히 여기리라

(7)And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.  (8)The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.                                                  Rev 17:7-8

Both these scriptures show that everyone not in the Lambs book of Life will follow the Beast, yet they are found in the book of Life that records everyone who is born. How do we reconcile this with it saying,  anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire. (Rev 20:15)

Daniel also prophesied the judgment with books open. Dan 7:10  A river of fire was flowing, coming out from before him. Thousands upon thousands attended him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him. The court was seated, and the books were opened. Also in Dan.12 he mentions a time when Israel will be delivered and there will be those found  written in the book.   ( a reference to judgment probably of the just and unjust, as he states their position in the resurrection.)

[단 7:9-단 7:12]

(9)내가 보았는데 왕좌가 놓이고 옛적부터 항상 계신 이가 좌정하셨는데 그 옷은 희기가 눈 같고 그 머리털은 깨끗한 양의 털 같고 그 보좌는 불꽃이요 그 바퀴는 붙는 불이며  (10)불이 강처럼 흘러 그 앞에서 나오며 그에게 수종하는 자는 천천이요 그 앞에 시위한 자는 만만이며 심판을 베푸는데 책들이 펴 놓였더라

(9)I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire. (10)A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.  

(11)그 때에 내가 그 큰 말하는 작은 뿔의 목소리로 인하여 주목하여 보는 사이에 짐승이 죽임을 당하고 그 시체가 상한바 되어 붙는 불에 던진바 되었으며    (12)그 남은 모든 짐승은 그 권세를 빼앗겼으나 그 생명은 보존되어 정한 시기가 이르기를 기다리게 되었더라

(11)I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame. (12)As concerning the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and time.   Dan 7:9-12

Rev.20:12-15: "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.   And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.   And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.   And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

What are the things which were written in the books.” These books record everything we have done (every idle word spoken relating to God and Jesus). The other books mentioned are the biographies of the individual. The times they heard the Gospel and rejected it, their good and bad deeds that will determine their degree of punishment, not their salvation. God has perfect record keeping.

The term "another book," is the roll-book of the regenerated, those washed and sanctified through faith in His blood sacrifice for their sins. The first death consisted in the separation of the soul from the body temporarily until this judgment. The second death in the separation of both body and soul from God forever. The first death has a resurrection unto eternal life without sin; the second death is there is no recovery.

Ps. 9:5: “You have rebuked the nations, you have destroyed the wicked; you have blotted out their name forever and ever.”

Those who received Christ have their name written in his book of life (the Lamb's book) and it is retained in the Book of Life. Those who reject him, never have their name written in his book. Their name is also removed from the book of life, of which everyone’s name is written down that ever lived.

So there are several books, the book of records of their deeds, possibly the book of the law showing when they broke it. The book of life records their physical birth, and the Lamb's book of life which records their second birth (Spiritual). To be in the Lamb's book means one is in the new covenant and has been cleansed by the blood of the lamb.

If one is born twice they will not be judged for punishment by the 2nd death, but have passed from death unto life. If you're born twice you will die once, if you're born once you will die twice (physically and spiritually). The great white throne judgment is the 2nd resurrection which is strictly for unbelievers (which takes place at the end of the Millennium) since believers have all been glorified in the different stages by the first resurrection.

Heb. 12:23: "To the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect." The Greek word is apographo which means to write (a copy or list), i.e. enrol: (Strong's Numbers and Concordance.) Thayer's Greek Lexicon says it means to enter in a register or records specially, to enter the names of men, their property, and income in public records to enroll. If you are born again you then become a pilgrim on earth heading for your permanent home in heaven

Is your name registered in heaven in the Lamb's book of life? There is only one way for this to occur. You must recognize Christ's sacrifice for you, admit you have sinned and need his forgiveness. Ask him to cleanse you by his blood he shed for your sins on the cross. Then your name will be on the register forever. Amen.

Judgment by the book

Psalms 7:11a God is a righteous judge... [See also 2 Timothy 4:8, Hebrews 12:23]

On the Day of Judgment, when God will judge all who have ever lived, the Righteous Judge will render His verdict based on perfect records. The scene of this end-times event is seen late in the book of Revelation...

Revelation 20:11-15 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. (NIV)

A number of books are entered into evidence in the celestial court. One is singled out as being different than all the others and is specifically called "the book of life." While the remainder of the books are left nameless their purposes can ascertained from the passage. Notice that every person is judged by the standard of these books. This fact alone shows that further study is warranted.

In a rare Old Testament occurrence, the prophet Daniel was given a vision of this end-times judgment as well. In his vision the books (plural) were opened for judgment, even as they were in Revelation.

Daniel 7:9-10 "As I looked, "thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat. His clothing was as white as snow; the hair of his head was white like wool. His throne was flaming with fire, and its wheels were all ablaze. 10 A river of fire was flowing, coming out from before him. Thousands upon thousands attended him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him. The court was seated, and the books were opened. (NIV)

While no direct reference was given at this time to book of life, a later passage certainly points to its existence. We will examine that passage as part of this section on the book of life.

The book of life:

It is desirable to have ones' name written in this book as only those whose names are recorded will escape the second death (the lake of fire).
Jesus referred indirectly to this book, stating that it is a good thing that your name would be written there.
Luke 10:20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

In Revelation we are told that only those whose names are written in this book will enter the New Jerusalem and have a part in the new heavens and earth that God is making to restore paradise that was lost.
Revelation 21:27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.

The book of life belongs to the Lamb which was slain, Jesus Christ (John 1:29).
Revelation 13:8 All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast - all whose names have not been written in the book of life belonging to the Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world.

The names in the book were written there before the creation of the world, chosen in Christ. Others are not written in the book of life from before the creation of the world. Also note that those who are written there, having come to faith in Jesus Christ, will no longer serve or worship the false religions and leaders of the earth. Those not written in the book will be deceived as truly they welcome deception in their fallen state.
Revelation 13:8 All who dwell on the earth will worship him [the beast], everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who has been slain. (NASU)

Revelation 17:8 The beast, which you saw, once was, now is not, and will come up out of the Abyss and go to his destruction. The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the creation of the world will be astonished when they see the beast, because he once was, now is not, and yet will come.

All who are in the book of life will persevere (also called "endurance", see Romans 15:5) and will overcome the world, never to be removed.
[롬 15:5-롬 15:7]

(5)이제 인내와 안위의 하나님이 너희로 그리스도 예수를 본받아 서로 뜻이 같게 하여 주사  (6)한 마음과 한 입으로 하나님 곧 우리 주 예수 그리스도의 아버지께 영광을 돌리게 하려 하노라   (7)이러므로 그리스도께서 우리를 받아 하나님께 영광을 돌리심과 같이 너희도 서로 받으라  

(5)Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:  (6)That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. (7)Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God.    

Rom 15:5-7

Revelation 3:5 He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.

1 John 5:4-5 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

The Old Testament prophet Daniel, who had been given a vision of this end-times judgment, was also told about a book (singular). Though not specifically called the book of life, it is clear from the passage that this book pertains to the end of time, and the judgment of the righteous and unrighteous, and most certainly is the exact same book.
……..
While many in Daniel's era may have been inclined to believe it only pertained to the Jews because of the term "your people", it in reality pertains to the greater subset "your people", namely all who are written in the book of life. The understanding of this vision was committed to the future, "the time of the end", until the revelation of God's universal church, Jew and Gentile, in Jesus Christ.
Daniel 12:1-4 "At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people - everyone whose name is found written in the book - will be delivered. 2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

3 Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever. 4 But you, Daniel, close up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase knowledge."

The apostle Paul recognized that those working for the cause of Jesus Christ, contended for the gospel, where more than fellow workers but also people whose names were recorded in the book of life by God's grace.
Philippians 4:3 Yes, and I ask you, loyal yokefellow, help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life. (NIV)

It must be noted that every unbeliever who stands before that great bar of God will have no entry in the book of life. Into this deafening silence the protests of good actions and claims of self-righteousness justly require an answer. It is now that we move to examine the contents of the other books that will reply.

The (other) books:

The books are all about what a person has done. While not specifically told the contents of these books in Revelation or in Daniel, they do contain the records by which each person is judged. It is on these records the each person stands or falls.
Revelation 20:12b The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

The best of our goodness apart from Christ are as filthy rags. When compared to the perfection of God each action recorded in the books will be seen for what it is.
Isaiah 64:6a All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags

One book is the book of words. Jesus warned that everything we said would be called into judgment, including those rash and careless words spoken in anger, hast, or supposed secrecy.
Matthews 12:36-37 But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

Another book is the book of actions. Within this book would be not only what was done in public and in private, but what should have been done.
Matthew 16:27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done.

While it could be associated with the last two books, another could be the book of hidden things. Herein all the things done that were intentional hidden from the eyes of man, but now shown to be seen by God (Proverbs 15:3).
Ecclesiastes 12:14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.

[잠 15:3-잠 15:5]

(3)여호와의 눈은 어디서든지 악인과 선인을 감찰하시느니라  

(3)The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.

(4)온량한 혀는 곧 생명 나무라도 패려한 혀는 마음을 상하게 하느니라  

(4)A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.

(5)아비의 훈계를 업신여기는 자는 미련한 자요 경계를 받는 자는 슬기를 얻을 자니라  (5)A fool despiseth his father's instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent.                                         Prov. 15:3-5

The last book may be of thoughts and intents. The thoughts never revealed to another, the plans mulled on in secret, the real intents behind deceptive externals, all will be in view (Genesis 6:5, 8:21). Many a self-deceived person will, for the first time, see clearly the extent of their depravity.

[히 4:12-히 4:13]

(12)하나님의 말씀은 살았고 운동력이 있어 좌우에 날선 어떤 검보다도 예리하여 혼과 영과 및 관절과 골수를 찔러 쪼개기까지 하며 또 마음의 생각과 뜻을 감찰하나니  (12)For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.  

(13)지으신 것이 하나라도 그 앞에 나타나지 않음이 없고 오직 만물이 우리를 상관하시는 자의 눈앞에 벌거벗은 것같이 드러나느니라  (13)Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things [are] naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.          Heb 4:12-13

Popular culture likes to portray heaven as a time when your whole life will be played on a video screen for all to see. I have even met believers that have feared such, often shamed by things they did before they believed, or that were committed in weakness following. Consider the truth in this matter.

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat(BEMA) of Christ , that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

Jesus, the Righteous Judge of all (John 5:22), will certainly be judging "the dead (Revelation 20:12b)" by what was written in the books, but what about the believer? In Second Corinthians it does clearly say that "we must all appear before the judgment seat" to receive what is due us for thing done while alive, good or bad. For the believer, with their name recorded in the book of life, just what is left in the books regarding the actions of their life? What is there to be read out to condemn them?

Romans 8:1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus

There is nothing left in the records to condemn a believer, and, believe me, in view of the Holy perfection of God a single sin would be all it takes. How can all this sin, error, and omission be gone from the record of a believer? By the blood of Christ!

Acts 3:19a Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out... (NKJV)

When we repent of our sins and turn to Jesus in faith, our sin is blotted out (wiped out) of the books, never to be remembered again or held against us. This same idea is pictured in regards to our robes in heaven...

Revelation 7:14 I answered, "Sir, you know." And he said, "These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. [See also Galatians 3:26-27]

[갈 3:26-갈 3:27]

(26)너희가 다 믿음으로 말미암아 그리스도 예수 안에서 하나님의 아들이 되었으니    (27)누구든지 그리스도와 합하여 세례를 받은 자는 그리스도로 옷입었느니라

(26)For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. (27)For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.    Gal 3:26-27

It is the blood of Jesus that covers our sins, leaving absolutely nothing to condemn us. For this reason we have nothing to fear in the time of judging. Since this takes care of the negative side of judgment for a believer, what about the positive side, the good we have done in the body? If the books have any entry for a believer it would have to be this...

Imputation of Righteousness

"Done perfectly for them by Christ!"

The perfect righteousness of Christ, who never sinned, who did everything we should have, who perfectly served the Father in love and obedience, is imputed (or credited) to us. Jesus lived for us the life we (as believers) can never live. The apostle Paul spoke of this very thing in a number of passages...

Romans 3:21-24 But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 4:22-25 This is why "it was credited to him as righteousness." 23 The words "it was credited to him" were written not for him alone, 24 but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness - for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. 25 He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification. [credit = "imputed"]

With the imputed righteousness of Christ being recorded in our favor, this is how God can and will say to every believer...

Matthew 25:21 & 23 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

Even the repentant thief on the cross (Luke 29:39-43), and the person who makes a death-bed conversion, will be able to hear those same words in the Day of Judgment. The bottom line on all our good deeds rests in the completed work of Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat(BEMA) of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

Revelation 22:12-13 "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Only the unbeliever still clothed in his filthy rags of self-righteousness needs fear receiving just reward for his deeds. But oh how great the gratitude for the believer who owes everything to His Savior!

Addendum – blot out the name ?

A couple Old Testament passages, in Psalms and Exodus, are sometimes claimed by those trying to prove that a person can be removed from the Lamb's book of life. This section will address both of those passages beginning with the one in Exodus.

Exodus 32:31-34 So Moses went back to the LORD and said, "Oh, what a great sin these people have committed! They have made themselves gods of gold. 32 But now, please forgive their sin - but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written." 33 The LORD replied to Moses, "Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book. 34 Now go, lead the people to the place I spoke of, and my angel will go before you. However, when the time comes for me to punish, I will punish them for their sin."

While the Old Testament law had shadows of things that were to come, namely the spiritual fulfillment, much of the focus in their day rested in earthly ordinances and observations. It is not valid to arbitrarily assume that the book Moses is referring to is the spiritual Lamb's book of life which is not fully revealed until New Testament times. In fact, the idea of being blotted out in regards to sin was earlier established...

Exodus 17:14 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered and make sure that Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven."

The words translated "book" (Exodus 32:32) and "scroll" (Exodus 17:14) are the same Hebrew word (literally meaning "writing" or something written). In the earlier passage, God was going to blot out the remembrance of the people that were under his judgment, meaning they were to cease to exist as a people (obviously they are remembered, as such, because God had knowledge of them recorded in His word).

When Moses later talks about himself being blotted out of the scroll (or book), he's using the same idea; that God would strike him rather than the rest of the Israelites. God's answer was that those who had sinned, or need to be punished, would be the ones that would be (in God's own timing). As we see throughout the law, that's exactly what God did. Notice this passage in Deuteronomy and how it quite clearly parallels the idea behind the judgment of the Amaleks.

Deuteronomy 9:13-14 And the LORD said to me, "I have seen this people, and they are a stiff-necked people indeed! 14 Let me alone, so that I may destroy them and blot out their name from under heaven. And I will make you into a nation stronger and more numerous than they."

Still another passage...

Deuteronomy 25:5-6 If brothers are living together and one of them dies without a son, his widow must not marry outside the family. Her husband's brother shall take her and marry her and fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to her. 6 The first son she bears shall carry on the name of the dead brother so that his name will not be blotted out from Israel.

The focus of being blotting out, in the law, directly pertained to a persons' existence within the covenant nation of Israel. Those who sinned were to be blotted out, suffering the judgment and punishment of God, cut of from the people. Multitudes of offenses were punishable by death or exclusion from the people (part of the curses of the law).

Deuteronomy 29:18-21 Make sure there is no man or woman, clan or tribe among you today whose heart turns away from the LORD our God to go and worship the gods of those nations; make sure there is no root among you that produces such bitter poison. 19 When such a person hears the words of this oath, he invokes a blessing on himself and therefore thinks, "I will be safe, even though I persist in going my own way." This will bring disaster on the watered land as well as the dry.

20 The LORD will never be willing to forgive him; his wrath and zeal will burn against that man. All the curses written in this book will fall upon him, and the LORD will blot out his name from under heaven. 21 The LORD will single him out from all the tribes of Israel for disaster, according to all the curses of the covenant written in this Book of the Law. [Read also Deuteronomy 32:26]

In the inverse, since God promised to always have a remnant, God promised that Israel would never be fully destroyed, or blotted out of physical existence.

2 Kings 14:26-27 The LORD had seen how bitterly everyone in Israel, whether slave or free, was suffering; there was no one to help them. 27 And since the LORD had not said he would blot out the name of Israel from under heaven, he saved them by the hand of Jeroboam son of Jehoash.

Again, this passage has nothing to do with the book of life in heaven as it had a completely earthly ("under heaven") focus. Many centuries later, still under the law, David had the same perspective.

Psalms 9:5-6 You have rebuked the nations and destroyed the wicked; you have blotted out their name for ever and ever. 6 Endless ruin has overtaken the enemy, you have uprooted their cities; even the memory of them has perished.

Throughout the law was the concept that long life was for the righteous and a shortened life was for the wicked. It is for this reason that David calls on God to judge the wicked through their deaths.

Psalms 69:24-28 Pour out your wrath on them; let your fierce anger overtake them. 25 May their place be deserted; let there be no one to dwell in their tents. 26 For they persecute those you wound and talk about the pain of those you hurt. 27 Charge them with crime upon crime; do not let them share in your salvation. 28 May they be blotted out of the book of life and not be listed with the righteous.

The term translated "book of life" is quite literally, in Hebrew, the "book of the living." Once again the idea remains the same, being the physical cutting off of the wicked. While the book of life in heaven, fully revealed in New Testament times, is certainly a book of the living as well (in the fullest sense of that word), it is physical life that is in view in Old Testament times (the later book of Daniel, with its sealed up vision of the far distant future being the only exception). The book, or scroll, David later refers to in regard to his own life reveals more of this idea.

Psalms 139:14-16 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

David was saying that God had recorded all the days he would live before any of them came about. When applied to the wicked and their being blotted out, it is to say that their days (or life) need to be shortened.

Psalms 109:13-15 May his descendants be cut off, their names blotted out from the next generation. 14 May the iniquity of his fathers be remembered before the LORD; may the sin of his mother never be blotted out. 15 May their sins always remain before the LORD, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.

While the focus in the law was on physically being cut off, there was (and David certainly had) an awareness that God kept a record of sins.

Psalms 51:1-4 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight

Psalms 51:9-10 Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. 10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

David clearly knew that God needed to blot out any remembrance of sins or there would be no way that He could stand before God. If sin was to remain there would be no difference between him and the wicked.

Isaiah 43:25 "I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.

While this certainly applied to the nation of Israel, we now fully understand how God applies this to believers individually. Only with the completed work of Christ can we understand the fullness of the picture revealed in the New Testament concerning the book and the books.

(14)사망과 음부도 불못에 던지우니 이것은 둘째 사망 곧 불못이라 (15)누구든지 생명책에 기록되지 못한 자는 불못에 던지우더라

(14)And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.  

(15)And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.                 Rev20:11-15

DOWN AT THE CROSS  - Glory to His Name
     Words -Elisha A. Hoffman (1839-1929) Music: John H. Stock­ton,1978).

Down at the cross where my Savior died,
Down where for cleansing from sin I cried,
There to my heart was the blood applied;
Glory to His Name!
Refrain

Glory to His Name, glory to His Name:
There to my heart was the blood applied;
Glory to His Name!

2. I am so wondrously saved from sin,
Jesus so sweetly abides within;
There at the cross where He took me in;
Glory to His Name!