School of Jesus Disciples REV 2:7

2010.11.05 10:32

섬김이 Views:33652

School of Jesus Disciples     REV 2:7

743 S. Grandview St. L.A. CA. 90057            Tel. (213)928-2932  Pastor P.K.

Every Sunday 3:30 pm            JD-class      Email: peterkim123@sbcglobal.net

Seeking to make disciples who make disciples.

“그러나 너는 모든 일에 근신하여 고난을 받으며 전도인의 일을 하며 네 직무를 다하라”    But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.                                       II Tim 4:5

Devotional to JDs,

Holiness & Cinnamon in the Bible

Holy Anointing oil with Cinnamon -

(출 30:23) Take thou also unto thee principal spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet calamus two hundred and fifty shekels,

[출 30:29-출 30:29]

(29)그것들을 지성물로 구별하라 무릇 이것에 접촉하는 것이 거룩하리라  

(29)And thou shalt sanctify them, that they may be most holy: whatsoever toucheth them shall be holy.

(29) As@ los consagrar~s, y ser~n cosas sant@simas: todo lo que tocare en ellos, ser~ santificado.

vD;q]yI !h,B; ['gENOh'AlK; !yvid;q; vd,qo Wyh;w_ !t;ao T;v]D'qiw_

[아 4:12-아 4:16]

(12)나의 누이, 나의 신부는 잠근 동산이요 덮은 우물이요 봉한 샘이로구나    (13)네게서 나는 것은 석류나무와 각종 아름다운 과수와 고벨화와 나도초와

(12)A garden inclosed is my sister, my spouse; a spring shut up, a fountain sealed. (13)Thy plants are an orchard of pomegranates, with pleasant fruits; camphire, with spikenard,

(14)나도와 번홍화와 창포와 계수와 각종 유향목과 몰약과 침향과 모든 귀한 향품이요  (15)너는 동산의 샘이요 생수의 우물이요 레바논에서부터 흐르는 시내로구나  (16)북풍아 일어나라 남풍아 오라 나의 동산에 불어서 향기를 날리라 나의 사랑하는 자가 그 동산에 들어가서 그 아름다운 실과 먹기를 원하노라 (14)Spikenard and saffron; calamus and cinnamon, with all trees of frankincense; myrrh and aloes, with all the chief spices:  (15)A fountain of gardens, a well of living waters, and streams from Lebanon.  (16)Awake, O north wind; and come, thou south; blow upon my garden, [that] the spices thereof may flow out. Let my beloved come into his garden, and eat his pleasant fruits.

- Song of Solomon 4:12-16

10 Health Benefits of Cinnamon

Studies have shown that just 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol. Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes. In some studies, cinnamon has shown an amazing ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.

In a study published by researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, cinnamon reduced the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells. It has an anti-clotting effect on the blood.

In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.

When added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative. One study found that smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory. Researchers at Kansas State University found that cinnamon fights the E. coli bacteria in unpasteurized juices.

It is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium.

** It is learnt from this that Cinnamon powder reduces the high blood sugar and also the high cholestrol level. – healing  the diabetes

Cinnamon, Diabetes and Insulin Resistance

By: B.L. Walther

A few months ago I stumbled upon an article that tied together cinnamon, diabetes, and insulin resistance. Intrigued, I did some follow up research and made some astonishing discoveries. In fact, I'm absolutely amazed that what I discovered isn't covered on the nightly news, the major newspapers, and is a constant top story on Drudge considering the profundity of what you're about to learn.

First, the background on insulin, insulin resistance, and diabetes. After we eat, food is broken down into glucose, the simple sugar that is the main source of energy for the body's cells. But our cells cannot use glucose without insulin, a hormone produced by the pancreas. Insulin helps the cells take in glucose and convert it to energy. When the pancreas does not make enough insulin or the body is unable to use the insulin that is present, the cells cannot use glucose. Excess glucose builds up in the bloodstream, setting the stage for diabetes.

Being obese or overweight affects the way insulin works in your body. Extra fat tissue can make your body resistant to the action of insulin. If you have insulin resistance, your muscle, fat, and liver cells do not use insulin properly. The pancreas tries to keep up with the demand for insulin by producing more. Eventually, the pancreas cannot keep up with the body's need for insulin, and excess glucose builds up in the bloodstream. Many people with insulin resistance have high levels of blood glucose and high levels of insulin circulating in their blood at the same time.

People with blood glucose levels that are higher than normal but not yet in the diabetic range have "pre-diabetes" or "insulin resistance." Insulin resistance is a hidden condition, one that doesn't present any symptoms, that increases the likelihood of developing diabetes and debilitating heart conditions. If you have pre-diabetes, you have a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes, formerly called adult-onset diabetes or non-insulin-dependent diabetes.

Studies have shown that most people with pre-diabetes go on to develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years, unless they lose 5 to 7 percent of their body weigh tó which is about 10 to 15 pounds for someone who weighs 200 pounds by making modest changes in their diet and level of physical activity. People with pre-diabetes also have a higher risk of heart disease.

Type 2 diabetes is sometimes defined as the form of diabetes that develops when the body does not respond properly to insulin, as opposed to type 1 diabetes, in which the pancreas makes no insulin at all. At first, the pancreas keeps up with the added demand by producing more insulin. In time, however, it loses the ability to secrete enough insulin in response to meals.

OK, I've established the connection with diabetes and insulin resistance. What's up with the cinnamon? In August 2000, the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced preliminary findings that "Cinnamon may significantly help people with type 2 diabetes improve their ability to regulate their blood sugar. As a matter of fact, this study found that it increased glucose metabolism 20-fold."

Over the next few years additional studies were conducted with humans to further evaluate this surprising result. In one small 60 patient study conducted in Pakistan, reporting in the journal Diabetes Care, all the patients had been treated for type 2, adult onset diabetes for several years and were taking anti-diabetic drugs to increase their insulin output. But they were not yet taking insulin to help process their blood glucose. The subjects were given small doses of cinnamon ranging from as little as a quarter teaspoon up to 2 teaspoons a day for 40 days.

The results again surprised the scientists, but were even more profound than previous. Not only did the cinnamon reduce the blood sugar levels and increase the natural production of insulin, it lowered their blood cholesterol as well. Even 20 days after the cinnamon treatment had ended, the patients continued to see beneficial effects.

This is good news for the more than 50 million Americans who suffer from diabetes and/or heart disease. All the patients in the study showed better glucose metabolism and natural insulin production when they took cinnamon capsules that delivered less than two teaspoons a day of the spice.

Specifically, their blood cholesterol levels were lowered in the range of 10 to 26 percent, affecting overall cholesterol levels and reducing the LDL (known as the bad cholesterol) but not reducing levels of HDL, the good cholesterol.

This is also potentially good news for the many millions more of us who suffer from insulin resistance, sometimes known as pre-diabetes, or the Metabolic Syndrome. Lowering blood sugar levels, and improving cholesterol ratios can help reverse pre-diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome, and in fact may actually prevent the onset of full diabetes.

Better news still, while cinnamon addresses elevated blood sugar levels and helps to combat insulin resistance, it is also a successful factor in helping you lose weight. The fat cells in your abdomen are particularly sensitive to high insulin levels, and are very effective at storing energy far more so that fat cells you would find in other areas such as the lower body (i.e. hips, rear-end, thighs). Because abdominal fat cells are so close to your digestive organs, and there is an extensive network of blood vessels circulating in the abdominal area, it is even easier for fat cells to store excess glucose there.

Now here's the challenge: getting enough cinnamon over the course of a day without getting absolutely sick to death of the taste. After doing this research, I decided to be my own guinea pig for testing. I spent the first week putting a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon in a bowl of oatmeal every morning and after about the third day, I knew that wasn't going to be a workable long term strategy.

I next went online and found an excellent source of cinnamon capsules. I've been taking two cinnamon capsules a day ever since I made my discovery and the effects have been profound. I've lost 14-lbs and no longer have a noticeable bulge around my waistline. I changed nothing else in my daily routine other than adding the cinnamon capsules.

My diet is predominantly low-carb but I'm not fanatic about it. I have a sedate office job and the extent of my exercise is doing household chores and playing with the dogs. This certainly doesn't qualify as a rigorous scientific controlled test, however I'm certainly convinced as I'm a believer in finding out what works and sticking with it. – Testimony with Cinnamon.

Cinamon and honey the miracle cure

Facts on honey and cinnamon: It is found that a mixture of honey and cinnamon cures most diseases. Honey is produced in most of the countries of the world. Scientists of today also accept honey as a "Ram Ban" (very effective) medicine for all kinds of diseases. Honey can be used without any side effects for any kind of diseases.

Today's science says that even though honey is sweet, if taken in the right dosage as a medicine, it does not harm diabetic patients. Weekly World News, a magazine in Canada, in its issue dated 17 January, 1995 has given the following list of diseases that can be cured by honey and cinnamon as researched by western scientists:

HEART DISEASES:
Make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder, apply on bread, instead of jelly and jam, and eat it regularly for breakfast. It reduces the cholesterol in the arteries and saves the patient from heart attack. Also those who have already had an attack, if they do this process daily, they are kept miles away from the next attack. Regular use of the above process relieves loss of breath and strengthens the heart beat. In America and Canada, various nursing homes have treated patients successfully and have found that as you age, the arteries and veins lose their flexibility and get clogged; honey and cinnamon revitalize the arteries and veins.

ARTHRITIS :
Arthritis patients may take daily, morning, and night, one cup of hot water with two spoons of honey and one small teaspoon of cinnamon powder. If taken regularly even chronic arthritis can be cured. In a recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one tablespoon honey and half teaspoon cinnamon powder before breakfast, they found that within a week, out of the 200 people so treated, practically 73 patients were totally relieved of pain, and within a month, mostly all the patients who could not walk or move around because of arthritis started walking without pain.

BLADDER INFECTIONS:
Take two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it. It destroys the germs in the bladder.

TOOTHACHE:
Make a paste of one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and five teaspoons of honey and apply on the aching tooth. This may be applied three times a day until the tooth stops aching.

CHOLESTEROL:
Two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of cinnamon powder mixed in 16 ounces of tea water, given to a cholesterol patient, was found to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood by 10 percent within two hours. As mentioned for arthritic patients, if taken three times a day, any chronic cholesterol is cured. According to information received in the said journal, pure honey taken with food daily relieves complaints of cholesterol.

COLDS:
Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 spoon cinnamon powder daily for three days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold, and clear the sinuses.

UPSET STOMACH:
Honey taken with cinnamon powder cures stomach ache and also clears stomach ulcers from the root.

GAS:
According to the studies done in India and Japan, it is revealed that if honey is taken with cinnamon powder the stomach is relieved of gas.

IMMUNE SYSTEM:
Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacteria and viral attacks. Scientists have found that honey has various vitamins and iron in large amounts. Constant use of honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles to fight bacteria and viral diseases.

INDIGESTION:
Cinnamon powder sprinkled on two tablespoons of honey taken before food relieves acidity and digests the heaviest of meals.

INFLUENZA:
A scientist in Spain has proved that honey contains a natural ingredient which kills the influenza germs and saves the patient from flu.

LONGEVITY:
Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder, when taken regularly, arrests the ravages of old age. Take four spoons of honey, one spoon of cinnamon powder and three cups of water and boil to make like tea. Drink 1/4 cup, three to four times a day. It keeps the skin fresh and soft and arrests old age. Life spans also increases and even a 100 year old, starts performing the chores of a 20-year-old.

PIMPLES:
Three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder paste. Apply this paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash it next morning with warm water. If done daily for two weeks, it removes pimples from the root.

SKIN INFECTIONS:
Applying honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts on the affected parts cures eczema , ringworm and all types of skin infections.

WEIGHT LOSS:
Daily in the morning one half hour before breakfast on an empty stomach and at night before sleeping, drink honey and cinnamon powder boiled in one cup of water. If taken regularly, it reduces the weight of even the most obese person. Also, drinking this mixture regularly does not allow the fat to accumulate in the body even though the person may eat a high calorie diet.

CANCER:
Recent research in Japan and Australia has revealed that advanced cancer of the stomach and bones have been cured successfully. Patients suffering from these kinds of cancer should daily take one tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder for one month three times a day.

FATIGUE:
Recent studies have shown that the sugar content of honey is more helpful rather than! than being detrimental to the strength of the body. Senior citizens, who take honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts, are more alert and flexible. Dr. Milton, who has done research, says that a half tablespoon of honey taken in a glass of water and sprinkled with cinnamon powder, taken daily after brushing and in the afternoon at about 3:00 P.M. when the vitality of the body starts to decrease, increases the vitality of the body within a week.

BAD BREATH:
People of South America, first thing in the morning, gargle with one teaspoon of honey and cinnamon powder mixed in hot water, so their breath stays fresh throughout the day.

HEARING LOSS:
Daily morning and night honey and cinnamon powder, taken in equal parts restore hearing.

Remember when we were kids? We had toast with real butter and cinnamon sprinkled on it! }

**N.B.> Hi, cinnamon really helps in reducing blood sugar levels . It also helps with LDL lipoprotein, triglycerides and total cholesterol . However, cinnamon can not help in Type 1 Diabetes and insulin dependent. It can only help in Type 2 diabetes by taking 1/4 teaspoonful 2-3 times a day. You can add it to your coffee, tea or anything else that you drink or eat. If you decide to try this, be very patient, because it usually takes 40 days to notice the first results. It would be the best if your physician monitors your blood sugar levels. Because there are many different types of cinnamon, be sure that you found the right one, which is called Cinnamomun cassia.

**cinnamon> Dried inner bark of a tree belonging to the laurel family, grown in India and Sri Lanka. The bark is ground to make the spice used in curries and confectionery. Oil of cinnamon is obtained from waste bark and is used as flavouring in food and medicine. (Cinnamomum zeylanicum, family Lauraceae.)

Cinnamon

Binomial name - Cinnamomum zeylanicum
J.Presl

Several related plants are referred to as cinnamon in various places. Notably, in the US Cassia ("Chinese cinnamon") (stick and ground), and C. burmannii ("Indonesian cinnamon") (ground) are labeled simply as "cinnamon", while Latin America and Europe refer to C. zeylanicum.

Cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum, synonym C. zeylanicum) is a small evergreen tree 10–15 meters (32.8–49.2 feet) tall, belonging to the family Lauraceae, native to Sri Lanka and South India. The bark is widely used as a spice due to its distinct odour. In India it is known as "Daalchini," and in Sri Lanka as "Kurundu" in Sinhala and "Lavangam" in Tamil.

The leaves are ovate-oblong in shape, 7–18 cm (2.75–7.1 inches) long. The flowers, which are arranged in panicles, have a greenish color, and have a distinct odor. The fruitberry containing a single seed. is a purple one-centimetre
Its flavour is due to an aromatic essential oil which makes up 0.5% to 1% of its composition. This oil is prepared by roughly pounding the bark, macerating it in seawater, and then quickly distilling the whole.

It is of a golden-yellow colour, with the characteristic odour of cinnamon and a very hot aromatic taste. The pungent taste and scent come from cinnamic aldehyde or cinnamaldehyde and, by the absorption of oxygen as it ages, it darkens in colour and develops resinous compounds. Chemical components of the essential oil include ethyl cinnamate, eugenol, cinnamaldehyde, beta-caryophyllene, linalool and methyl chavicol.

The name cinnamon comes from Greek kinn�mōmon, from Phoenician and akin to Hebrew qinn�m�n, itself ultimately from a Malaysian language, cf. Malay and Indonesian kayu manis which means sweet wood. The botanical name for the spice- Cinnamomum zeylanicum - is derived from the Sri Lanka's former name, Ceylon

Cinnamon has been known from remote antiquity, and it was so highly prized among ancient nations that it was regarded as a gift fit for monarchs and other great potentates. It was imported to Egypt from China as early as 2000 BC, and is mentioned in the Bible in Exodus 30:23, where Moses is commanded to use both sweet cinnamon (Hebrew cassia), and in Proverbs 7:17–18, where the lover's bed is perfumed with myrrh, aloe and cinnamon, then lastly in Song of Solomon 4:14, a song describing the beauty of his beloved, cinnamon scents her garments like the smell of Lebanon.

It is also alluded to by Herodotus and other classical writers. It was commonly used on funeral pyres in Rome, and the Emperor Nero is said to have burned a year's supply of cinnamon at the funeral for his wife Poppaea Sabina, in 65 AD. קִנָּמוֹן, qinnām�n) and Indonesian rafts transported cinnamon on a "cinnamon route" directly from the Moluccas to East Africa, where local traders then carried it north to the Roman market.

In the Middle Ages, the source of cinnamon was a mystery to the Western world. Arab traders brought the spice via overland trade routes to Alexandria in Egypt, where it was bought by Venetian traders from Italy who held a monopoly on the spice trade in Europe. The disruption of this trade by the rise of other Mediterranean powers, such as the Mamluk Sultans and the Ottoman Empire, was one of many factors that led Europeans to search more widely for other routes to Asia.

Portuguese traders finally discovered Ceylon (Sri Lanka) at the end of the fifteenth century, and restructured the traditional production of cinnamon by the salagama caste. The Portuguese established a fort on the island in 1518, and protected their own monopoly for over a hundred years.

Dutch traders finally dislodged the Portuguese by allying with the inland Ceylon kingdom of Kandy. They established a trading post in 1638, took control of the factories by 1640, and expelled all remaining Portuguese by 1658. "The shores of the island are full of it", a Dutch captain reported, "and it is the best in all the Orient: when one is downwind of the island, one can still smell cinnamon eight leagues out to sea" (Braudel 1984, p. 215).

The Dutch East India Company continued to overhaul the methods of harvesting in the wild, and eventually began to cultivate its own trees.
The British took control of the island from the Dutch in 1796. However, the importance of the monopoly of Ceylon was already declining, as cultivation of the cinnamon tree spread to other areas, the more common cassia bark became more acceptable to consumers, and coffee, tea, sugar and chocolate began to outstrip the popularity of traditional spices.

According to the International Herald Tribune, in 2006 Sri Lanka produced 90% of the world's cinnamon, followed by China, India and Vietnam [5]. According to the FAO, Indonesia produces 40% of the worlds Cassia genus of cinnamon.

Cultivation

Cinnamomum verum, from Koehler's Medicinal-Plants (1887)

Cinnamon is harvested by growing the tree for two years and then coppicing it. The next year about a dozen shoots will form from the roots. These shoots are then stripped of their bark, which is left to dry. Only the thin (0.5 mm) inner bark is used; the outer woody portion is removed, leaving metre-long cinnamon strips that curl into rolls ("quills") on drying; each dried quill comprises strips from numerous shoots packed together. These quills are then cut into 5–10 cm lengths for sale.

Cinnamon comes from Sri Lanka, and the tree is also grown commercially at Tellicherry in southern India, Java, Sumatra, the West Indies, Brazil, Vietnam, Madagascar, Zanzibar, and Egypt. Sri Lanka cinnamon has a very thin smooth bark, with a light-yellowish brown color, a highly fragrant aroma.

Cinnamon and cassia
The name cinnamon is correctly used to refer to Ceylon Cinnamon, also known as "true cinnamon" (from the botanical name C. zeylanicum). However, the related species Cassia (Cinnamomum aromaticum), Saigon Cinnamon (Cinnamomum loureiroi) and Cinnamomum burmannii are sometimes sold labeled as cinnamon, sometimes distinguished from true cinnamon as "Chinese Cinnamon", "Vietnamese cinnamon" or "Indonesian cinnamon."

Ceylon cinnamon, using only the thin inner bark, has a finer, less dense, and more crumbly texture, and is considered to be less strong than cassia. Cassia has a much stronger (somewhat harsher) flavor than Cinnamon and is generally a medium to light reddish brown, is hard and woody in texture, and is thicker (2–3 mm thick), as all of the layers of bark are used.

All of the powdered cinnamon sold in supermarkets in the United States is actually Cassia. European health agencies have recently warned against consuming high amounts of cassia, due to a toxic component called coumarin.[1] This is contained in much lower dosages in Cinnamomum burmannii due to its low essential oil content. Coumarin is known to cause liver and kidney damage in high concentrations. True Ceylon cinnamon has negligible amounts of Coumarin.

The two barks, when whole, are easily distinguished, and their microscopic characteristics are also quite distinct. - Cinnamon and Indonesian Cassia quills (Cinnamomum burmannii).

Cinnamon sticks (or quills) have many thin layers and can easily be made into powder using a coffee or spice grinder whereas cassia sticks are much harder. Indonesian Cassia (Cinnamomum burmannii) is often sold in neat quills made up of one thick layer, capable of damaging a spice or coffee grinder. Saigon Cassia (Cinnamomum loureiroi) and Chinese Cassia (Cinnamomum aromaticum) are always sold as broken pieces of thick bark as the bark is not supple enough to be rolled into quills.

It is a bit harder to tell powdered cinnamon from powdered cassia. When powdered bark is treated with tincture of iodine (a test for starch), little effect is visible in the case of pure cinnamon of good quality, but when cassia is present a deep-blue tint is produced, the intensity of the coloration depending on the proportion of cassia. Cinnamon is also sometimes confused with Malabathrum (Cinnamomum tamala) and Saigon Cinnamon (Cinnamomum loureiroi).

Uses

Quills of true cinnamon bark

Cinnamon bark is widely used as a spice. It is principally employed in cookery as a condiment and flavouring material, being largely used in the preparation of some kinds of desserts, chocolate, spicy candies, tea, hot cocoa and liqueurs. In the Middle East, it is often used in savoury dishes of chicken and lamb. In the United States, cinnamon and sugar are often used to flavour cereals, bread-based dishes, and fruits, especially apples;

a cinnamon-sugar mixture is even sold separately for such purposes. Cinnamon can also be used in pickling. Cinnamon bark is one of the few spices that can be consumed directly.

In medicine it acts like other volatile oils and once had a reputation as a cure for colds. It has also been used to treat diarrhea and other problems of the digestive system. Cinnamon is high in antioxidant activity (PMID 16190627, PMID 10077878). The essential oil of cinnamon also has antimicrobial properties (PMID 16104824), which can aid in the preservation of certain foods.

"Cinnamon" has been reported to have remarkable pharmacological effects in the treatment of type II diabetes. However, the plant material used in the study was actually cassia, as opposed to true cinnamon (see cassia's medicinal uses for more information about its health benefits). Cinnamon has traditionally been used to treat toothache and fight bad breath and its regular use is believed to stave off common cold and aid digestion. It is a multipurpose ingredient used for purification, luck, love and money.

Cinnamon is also used as an insect repellent

[출 30:24-출 30:25]

(24)계피 오백 세겔을 성소의 세겔대로 하고 감람 기름 한 힌을 취하여   (25)그것으로 거룩한 관유를 만들되 향을 제조하는 법대로 향기름을 만들지니 그것이 거룩한 관유가 될지라

(24)And of cassia five hundred shekels, after the shekel of the sanctuary, and of oil olive an hin: (25)And thou shalt make it an oil of holy ointment, an ointment compound after the art of the apothecary: it shall be an holy anointing oil.      

Ex 30:24-25

FORWARDS -NEW YORK IV - 뉴욕 십자가 대행진 성회(IV)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLIwB9LSaqo&feature=related

Please Click here!

쉬면 쉴수록 늙는다

인류 역사상 가장 오래 산 사람은,

영국인 토마스 파(Thomas Parr_1438~1589)로

알려지고 있다.

152세까지 장수했던 그는,

155㎝의 키에 몸무게 53㎏의 단구였다고 한다.

80세에 처음 결혼하여 1남1녀를 두었고

122세에 재혼까지 했다.

그의 장수에 대한 소문이 파다하자

당시 영국 국왕이었던 찰스 1세가 그를

왕궁으로 초대하여 생일을 축하해 주었는데,

그때의 과식이 원인이 되어 2개월후 사망했다고 한다.

유명한 화가 루벤스에게

그의 초상화를 그리게 했는데
이 그림이 바로 유명한 위스키 'Old Parr'의 브랜드가

되어 오늘날까지

인간의 수명이 얼마나 되는가하는 논의는

예로부터 있어 왔다.

성경에는 수명이 120세로 나온다 (창세기 6장 3절).

현대 의학자들도 비슷하게, 125세까지로 보고 있는 것 같다.

통계청에서도 현재 65세를 넘은 사람의

평균 수명이 91세라고 발표한 것을 보면,

인생 칠십은 옛말이고

인생 백세 시대가 온 것만은 분명해 보인다.

요즘은 또 '인생 백년 사계절 설(說)'을 이야기하는 사람들이 많다.

25세까지가 '봄', 50세까지가 '여름',

75세까지가 '가을', 100세 까지가 '겨울'이라는 것이다.

이에 따른다면 70세 노인은, 단풍이 가장 아름다운

만추(晩秋)쯤 되는 것이오,

80세 노인은
접어든 셈이 되는 것이다.

동양에서와 같은 回甲개념이 없는 서양에서는

대체로 노인의 기준을 75세로 보는 것 같다.

그들은 65세에서 75세까지를 'young old'

또는 active retirement(활동적 은퇴기)'라고 부른다.
사회 활동을 하기에

충분한 연령이라는 것이다.

그러나 이러한 육체적

연령보다도 더 중요한 것이 정신적인 젊음일 것이다.

유대계 미국 시인인 사무엘 울만은 일찍이 그의

유명한 시 '청춘 (Youth)' 에서 이렇게 노래했다.

청춘이란 인생의 어떤 기간이 아니라 마음의 상태를 말한다.

(Youth is not a time of life - it is a state of Mind)

때로는 20세 청년보다도 70세 노년에게 청춘이 있다.

나이를 더해가는 것만으로 사람은 늙지 않는다.

이상과 열정을 잃어버릴 때 비로소 늙는다.

재작년 96세로 타계한 세계적인 경영학자 피터 드러커는

타계 직전까지 강연과 집필을 계속했다.

페루의 민속사를 읽고 있으면서,아직도 공부하시냐고

묻는 젊은이들에게'人間은 好奇心을 잃는 瞬間 늙는다'

는 유명한 말을 했다.

1973년에 96세로 타계한 금세기 최고의 첼리스트

파블로 카잘스는

93세때 UN에서 조국 카탈루냐의

민요인 '새의 노래' 를 연주하고 평화에 대한 연설을